Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remove dual boot - Linux-Win ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberH

Programmer
Jun 10, 2002
CA
Hi all,
I have a dual boot, Win ME / Linux setup. I needed to reformat my hard drive (big problems) and want to get rid of Linux at the same time.
I've reformatted my hard drive, but I'm pretty sure Linux is still there. The size of my hard drive should be 20M, but it's saying it's only 14 (6 is allocated to Linux).
I can't figure out how to do it from within DOS, and I can't get into Linux anymore (the boot screen no longer comes up) to remove it that way.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
amber

Try booting from winME (or 98) boot floppy and using fdisk. It should tell you what partitions exist - linux ones will appear as non-dos if they're primary. Fdisk should be able to remove all partitions, releasing all 20GB for repartitioning.

If fdisk not showing you everything - try this utility (from dos prompt too) - can remove and create (as well as see details of) partitions.

PS. If you were using Linux boot loader (eg, Lilo or Grub), you might also need to run fdisk /mbr from dos promt too to rewrite standard master boot record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back