Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove drive partition 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vol4Ever

Technical User
Jan 26, 2002
My HD was split into a large drive (C:) and there was a smaller (D:) drive sized at about 15 GB. I have no idea what the D: drive was for, but there was 0 bytes of data on it. Some time ago, I figured out how to delete the drive using Vista's Disk Management tool. Is there any way to add the 15 GB back to my primary C: drive? As it is now, it is just sitting out there as unused, unallocated space.

Thanks!

That wasn't any (EX)Recovery Partition was it?

To do what you ask you may have to revert to third party partition tools in order to Resize your current partition over the Unallocated space.

You may find a free tool here,

Personally I like the programs from Terabyte, I use it quite often, without problems.

Terabyte Unlimited

Search their page for "Resize".

Whatever you do, do backup your valuable data first, these type of programs do not come without inherent risks.

Vista's built-in disk management tool can expand the existing C partition to include the unallocated space.

A user in one of the Microsoft forums suggested BootIt NG, which I think was a Terabyte Unlimited product as mentioned by Linney. It worked perfectly first time through.

Also, smah is correct that there are some powerful tools built into Vista that will perform the same functionality. Right click My Computer, click Manage, and then double click Storage/Disk Management. Problem is that it will only allow you to expand a partition into unallocated space AFTER the drive in question. In my case, the blank space was BEFORE. Vista can't do anything about that.

BootIt NG creates a special boot CD. Once I was booted to it, it had a "slide" feature that allowed me to move the C drive data backwards into the blank space. After that, the native Vista tools worked.

Thanks for the responses.

~Vol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back