Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove column header for data with no values

Status
Not open for further replies.

itpmguy

Programmer
Apr 25, 2002
US
Hello,

I have a BO report. I add a filter to one of the columns and then I get a different result set. Now if I group by a particular column. All the old result set (before adding the filter) show up although there are no values since I added the filter. I just see column headers for which there is no data along with rest of the correct data.

How do I remove the column headers for the results set that have no column values?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Build Your Own PC
eBay Sellers! Find out what is the top selling item on eBay.

A BO filter works against the underlying data of a document, not at a higher level.

For numeric values in a column try an expression in the header like:

Code:
= If (Sum(<var1>) In  Block > 0) Then NameOf(<var1>) Else ""

If the column displays strings I made up :

Code:
= If (Sum(Asc(SubStr(<Web-site> ,1 ,1))) In  Block > 0) Then NameOf(<Web-site>) Else ""

There may be more efficient methods, this just came to mind...

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Thanks for the response.

I think this work partially. The border is still there. I want the border of the colunm header if there is data. Can you remove border programmatically?

I was just curious about the "Hide Section" feature under Format Section (Right Click on the section -> Format Section).

I checked the "Hide Section" and put conditions like (For example):

= Count(<Students>) = 0

Why doesn't this work?? This doesn't hide the section.

Thanks

Build Your Own PC

For your info, my examples belong more in the category 'trickery' than normal procedure within BO. There is no real programming available to change the look of objects the way you want ..

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Have you considered Alerts. Perhaps you can remove the border and format the cell so that it appears to be invisible if the "count" for that column is 0.

Steve Krandel
VERITAS Software

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I have tried alerts as well. But I finally did the correct way. I put the filters at the Global level rather than the table level.

i got this info from another forum. tek-tips.com is a great forum but you can also visit forumtopics.com/busobj/, if you are just need additional info. There are several discussions about Hiding Section Headers. This seems to be the problems with version 5.xx.

Build Your Own PC

Yeah, we know the 'other' forum. Steve is even a moderator overthere....
It is also a much more active community :)

Ties Blom
Information analyst

That's right... Actually, Steve gave me that link when I asked a question about copying dataprovider from one report to another (
I agree as far BO is concerned, that forum more active. But I participate in Oracle and Unix forums here at tek-tips and I happy about that.

I am newbie with BO and besides reporting, now I am getting into Universe Design and development. Would you recommend any other good BO forums, which are free to join??

Lokesh

Build Your Own PC

Actually, I think forumtopics.com is by FAR the most active community. Others I know off are even less active than tek-tips...

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Nothing out there is better than BOB. The most active posters there are well known in the BO space. The moderator team is made up of users and consultants, most of whom are regular speakers at conferences and user groups. You won't find a more useful resource anywhere.

Steve Krandel
VERITAS Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back