Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove backgrounds to make clip art out of photo 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flphoto

Technical User
Oct 9, 2007
I have a CNC plasma cutting machine that uses DXF files for the CAD program that came with it. I was told that I could download a photo into Corel Draw 12 and make it into a vector file, save it as a BMP or PNG file and turn it into a DXF file for cutting. During this process I could drop out all background and make the subject into a sillouette form. As a professional photographer I have used Photoshop for years but Corel Draw is all new. I purposely got Corel Draw 12 because I was told that the new X3 would not do what I needed to do. I have the Official Guide to Draw 12 but have no idea what to look for or where to start looking. Can someone please advise?

To experiment, look for "CorelTrace" which is what the vector tracing program was called in version 11.

However, I don't believe you will be able to do that satisfactorily, with any program, because a photograph is a continuous tone image and can only be approximated by vector objects. A scanned image of a line drawing (kids cartoon, etc) might work but it would have to be pretty simple -- solid outlines, filled only with colours of uniform tints etc -- and it would have to be scanned from the original drawing not from a halftone representation such as a book or newspaper.

To clarify that -- yes, Corel can try to create vector objects from any image, and it will succeed to a greater or lesser degree depending on the subject -- but it must create a vector object for every shade of every colour you see in the picture. So if you start from a continuous tone photo, you'll end up with thousands of vector objects, most of them too small to be worth cutting. Or you can set the tolerance quite wide, so that a range of similar colours convert to the same vector object -- but you will probably find that the results become unrecogniseable long before you get down to a small enough number of objects.

Sorry, ignore that -- its correct, but the answer to a slightly different question to the one you asked.

I'll be back in a moment with another.

OK, here's what CorelTrace 11 created for a sample photo:

trace.jpg

Its a lot better than I expected and I suspect most photos would not be this easy.

Anyway, copy the image from CorelTrace to the clipboard and paste it into a new (empty) CorelDraw document. It is a group of 1300 objects but you are really only interested in two of them (that I've labelled A and B).

In CorelDraw you can Arrange : Ungroup so you can get at the individual objects, click on A to select it, shift click on B to select it without deselecting A and control-c to copy the pair to the clipboard. Then delete everything and paste your two items back to the document.

trace2.jpg

Edit : Select all then Arrange : combine and you have a single object representing your background.

trace3.jpg

File export will probably then let you create your DXF file.

In practice, I suspect the outline will not quite coincide with where you want the cut because its quite hard to distinguish hair from shadow -- though if you use a very smooth background and light it as well as the subject it will make the job easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back