Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove AVG 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayiam

Technical User
Aug 16, 2009
US
I am desperate to get AVG off of my XP compputer.
avgremover.exe DOES NOT WORK
start->control panel->add delete programs DOES NOT WORK
I am at the point of burning down the HD and installing Ubuntu linux unless I can get rid of AVG.

I have been struggling with this problem for days now and hope is running out.

Thanks for any help

Try booting into safe mode and removing the program through add/remove programs from there.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

AVG's own avgremover utility should only be used as a last resort anyway.

Normally AVG can be completely removed using its own setup program. I have done this several times on different machines most running XP.
Any residuals in the registry can then be removed with CCleaner.

But a Good AV program can protect its self from malicious removal e.g with a hacktool, are you sure the AVG remover you are using is legitimate?
But why do you want to remove a perfectly good AV program?

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

Thanks for the replies. I have used AVG for a few years and just upgraded to version 8.5. It seemed to work somewhat, but I had no control over most of the configuration features. Tried to uninstall and am now in no man's land.

It looks like it did a partial uninstall. AVG no longer appears in the control panel uninstall menu. AVG will no longer start from the desktop or Start menu. Task Manager shows AVG locking up roughly 80% of CPU resources at power up.

So, basically, I can't go forward and I can't back up.

I don't want to just delete the avg directory. can i delete all references to avg in the directory (question mark)

thanks again.

You could try reinstalling AVG and then boot into safe mode and try uninstalling it from add/remove programs.

Personally, I found AVG 8.5 to have more configuration options than previous versions. Did you try configuring it from the Tools ->Advanced settings menu?

Hope this helps.

AVG reinstall hung every time that I tried it. Booted in safe mode anyway, and this time, AVG did appear in the control panel uninstall list. Also, it did uninstall and I am back in business.

Thanks very much for the help.

Your original failed uninstall must have left an AVG service still running. When you start in safe mode the computer loads minimal drivers and services.

I'm glad that you got AVG uninstalled.

Cheers.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back