Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove arrow from shortcut icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmbru

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
Is there a way to remove the arrow from the shortcut icon so the whole icon can be seen? Brian

Yup, depending on what the icon is, most Windows icons can be changed in the following way....
Right click on the icon, and go to Properties...
The properties for that shortcut open up, and down the bottom you should see an option for Change Icon, click on this and then you should be given a selection of Icons to choose from, if there is not a wide selection, this can be for two reason,
*The Icon is for a game or additional software, therefor there are not many icons for it,
*It is an 'non-standard' Windows icon.
There is an option to browse for an icon, if you click on it, go to this locaion C:\WINNT\SYSTEM\shell32.dll if that file isn't there, search for in using Find->Files and Folders, and search your C:\ when you enter the path to it, you should see icons to choose from, including the one for the icon that has the shortcut to it...... Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

I think you've misunderstood or my question is misstated.

When I originally create a shortcut to a file, there is always an arrow on the shortcut. The icon I select doesn't have the arrow, but it shows up whenever I create a shortcut. I want the icon to show up on as the original icon without the shortcut arrow.

Thanks,

Brian

Microsoft makes a small utility that has the capability to do exactly what you are asking. It also has many other useful features. The name is Tweak UI. Its free, and comes without support "as is." In spite of the disclaimer, it is a handy tool for customizing you OS.

--2thumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back