Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove all data from HP LH4 raid 5 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizdunn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2000
US
We would like to donate our old HP Netserver LH4 but I need to remove all the data. Can anyone give me a step by step? If i hit ctrl+m i can get to utilities. Do I just reformat?

Thanks.

How confidential is the data on the disks? Reformatting will certainly remove the data to a level sufficient to conceal for Mr Average user, but for an IT-savvy user, they can still get at the data.

You need to use a third party utility that does through and overwrites every track with 1s and 0s (or other random data) several times over to fully kill the data to a high level of security. Even then, a laboratory can retrieve the data but at great expense and time.

Search Google for Disk Eraser. There's many available.

Regards: tf1

tf1 what would be the ways if any you could retrieve the data after the disk has been reformatted i havent heard of doing this but i work with a nation wide server maintenance company and believe me cliens do some stupid stuff to their systems and being able to retrieve data that has been blown out that far would be a great tool for any maintenance tech to have

much thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back