Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remove a startup ala msconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwbrick

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
US
I swear I have done this before, but now I cannot get a startup program fully removed through MSCONFIG. I uncheck it, click "apply" and go through a restart. With restart I get a warning window that my startup config has changed (as if I didn't know [smile2]) and says I can leave selective startup, or change to diagnostic or to normal startup. If I leave "selected" my program won't start, but it maintains its listing in MSCONFIG with an unchecked box. If I change to "normal" (makes sense to me) Uncle Bill insists on restoring the program to a startup condition (I don't know why he cares -- it's not an MS program...)

How can I get this off the startup list. BTW, the program doesn't show on HijackThis nor on my RegClean program (though "msconfig / auto" was there: I removed it but to no avail.)

Rod B.

And just in case it's a service, which can be difficult to get rid of, use the following script. [Warning dont go testing this on a know service].

Code:
On Error Resume Next
Computer = InputBox("Enter the computer name", "Delete Service", "localhost")

SName = InputBox("Enter the name of the service","Delete Service")

Set Services = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & Computer & "\root\cimv2").ExecQuery("select * from Win32_Service where Name = '" & SName & "'")

For each Service in Services
  Service.Delete()
Next

Autoruns is great for totally disabling any program that starts (Microsoft or third party) without having to actually edit the registry.

I use it all the time to prune out unwanted programs that start when Windows boots or to locate Spyware/Viruses that have their startup entries "hidden" to avoid removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back