Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removal of orphaned profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjohnbullas

Programmer
Aug 21, 2008
GB
Good Morning

A simple question, is there any way to remove a profile** on a hard drive that is a remnant of an earlier XP Pro install

**that was encrypted content and the encryption key is now lost and any associated login password are lost

Typically any attempt to remove/erase it comes back with the usual messages saying about lack of permission etc etc ...

Any way to use VirtualDub or another source editor to free the sectors concerned for wiping as I do not want the data contained therein, just to free the space :)

I am amazed no one has ever had to deal with this OR had to deal with this without resporting to a hard disk format...

If its a lack of permissions, can you try to take ownership of the folders using an administrator account, and then deleting them?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Typically any attempt to remove/erase it comes back with the usual messages saying about lack of permission etc etc ...
Google "Permission XP folder" would have led you to this website:
(this is where Vacunita's response would lead to aswell...)

I am amazed no one has ever had to deal with this OR had to deal with this without resorting to a hard disk format...
sometimes we overlook the more trivial questions, at least I do, or we do not have time to answer...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Anything here that is helpful to you?

"Use file permissions to deny delete. Encrypted files can be deleted. If attackers cannot decrypt the file, they may choose to simply delete it. While they don't have the sensitive information, you don't have your file".

"Attacks and Countermeasures: Additional Protection Mechanisms for Encrypted Files"
The Encrypting File System

Have a look at the File Access Permissions.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

Error Message: "Access Is Denied" When You Try to Open NTFS File System Folders

Profiles
thread779-1265691

If you can find a copy of NTFS DOS or a linux boot disc that supports NTFS you will be able to delete the profile folder as these completely ignore NTFS permissions.

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

Google search of just tech forums & articles
(very useful, honest!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back