Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removable drive automatically opens up the drive - Can I stop this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark01

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I have a removable drive, which when i plugged it into my front USB ports, would prompt me what I want to do... (open drive, copy files, etc)

Now, for some reason, it doesn't prompt me anymore, it just opens up the drive, and lists the files.

How can I fix this?

(I've played with the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDriveTypeAutoRun key with no luck.)

Did you try to set the Auto play option from the drives properties menu? If not try to set it to take no action or whatever action you want the drive to take when connected.

I tried setting the Auto Play option in the properties menu, but this still didn't work. I set it to do nothing, and it still opens up the drive, but only sometimes.

did you try linney's tool?

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

First, check the root of the removable drive for any autorun.xxx entries. You may have a V1 Autorun entry from a copied disk in the root of the drive.

If clean, create an autorun.inf file that specifies the device is an Autoplay V2 device:

Contents of AutoRun.inf
[autorun]
UseAutoPlay=1

Finally, clear any previous default V2 Autoplay assignments to the device. TweakUI, the Microsoft Powertoy, is a handy tool to do this:
For "howto" information on these two steps, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back