Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remotely turn on a pc? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ei8ball

MIS
Jul 17, 2002
US
I have IBM desktops. I know they all have power to the NICS because the light is on on the NIC even with the PC powered off. I've never looked into it, but and interested in how I would remotely turn that PC on, which I believe is possible. Once on I plan on PC anywhering into that PC. I would love to have some suggestions tonight on this topic....

Thanks!

You were born an original. Don't die a copy!

I appreciate mithrilhall's post, but I am hoping to use internal NIC that has Wake on Lan feature. Anyone know how to use this? You were born an original. Don't die a copy!

"or

"

This is exactly what I was talking about. And it just so happens we just purchased Landesk Management Suite which supports this according to the article you linked.

Thanks for the help!!!!!! You were born an original. Don't die a copy!

If you are planning to use pcAnywhere over dial up. The wake on LAN feature will not help you. If you are using it over broadband, then you will have to attach to the host and then ping the MAC address of the PC you want to turn on ten times to remotely wake it up.

Otherwise, you will have to enable Wake on Ring (if you are using dialup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back