Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remotely manage SQL Server 7.0 & DTS package problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorAnderson

Programmer
May 22, 2000
US
Visit site
We recently moved our SQL Server 7.0 database from one machine to another, and I think the guys who did it didn't do things quite right...<br><br>None of the DTS packages work anymore....<br>the little lines (for lack of better terms here..) that contain the SQL statements and such, well, if I try to edit the properties of them, I get an error that says this:<br>Error Source: Microsoft OLD DB Provider for SQL Server <br><br>Error Description:[DBMSSOCN]General network error. Check your network documentation.<br><br>My guess is that the things are looking for Server X and now they're on Server Y.&nbsp;&nbsp;Problem is, that when I try to edit the properties of the 'little line'...that error pops up...and then the window that comes up with the tabs across the top of it that lets me enter the SQL statement disappears right away and I can't make the changes?!?<br><br><br><br>Other question:<br><br>The SQL Server is now on a machine that's like 3000 miles away.&nbsp;&nbsp;Right now I use pcAnyWhere to log into it and use the SQL Enterprise Manager there.<br><br>Well, I've got SQL Server installed on this machine here...surely there is a way to have this SQL Enterprise Manager here connect to the remote SQL Server so I can play with it that way instead of the pcanywhere mess...right?&nbsp;&nbsp;Seems logical....<br><br>Thanks......<br><br>Victor Anderson (desperate developer...haha)<br> <p>Victor Anderson<br><a href=mailto:victoranderson2000@imailbox.com>victoranderson2000@imailbox.com</a><br><a href= Guru</a><br>ICQ# - 14847018

Hi there ,<br><br>About the &quot;little lines&quot; i am not quite sure but have you tried registering the remote server on your local server in the 'Add New SQL Server Registration'.<br><br>First create an ODBC for that server on tour machine and the right click on your SQL server , new SQL registration,<br>select your new server from the dialog box and that's it .<br><br>now just connect to that box from your local server .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back