Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE = exclusive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmcta

Technical User
Nov 1, 2002
US
I am studying this concept but I am confused.
What I understand is that to use password file authentication, I must set the REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE to Exclusive.
Exclusive indicates that only one instance can use the password file.

Does that mean that only 1 person can connect?
Does that mean that if I try to connect and another person does the same, one of us will a "busy" message????

Can somebody please help me understand this?

[ponder] Thank you,

Rama

No. Your "session" is not an "instance".

Rama,

To add to Carp's comment:

Background: An Oracle INSTANCE is made up of memory-related control mechanisms that manage an entire Oracle database. The Instance includes the System Global Area (SGA) made up of the Shared Pool, Database Buffer Cache, and Log Buffer; the Oracle background processes such as SMON, PMON, DBWR, LGWR, CKPT, RECO, et cetera compose the rest of the INSTANCE. One Oracle instance can be the connectivity target of literally hundreds of dedicated or multi-threaded server processes that provide access to us as DBAs or application users.

Your specific question: The two values for REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE are EXCLUSIVE and SHARED. When you use EXCLUSIVE, then only one Oracle instance can access the password file; if SHARED, then multiple Oracle instances can participate in the simultaneous (shared) control of a single database. Specifically, under either EXCLUSIVE or SHARED mode, multiple DBAs can simultaneously connect to an instance using the REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE.

Thank you both! It is all clear now. Yes I was confusing the instance with the session. '
Many thanks!
Rama

Rmcta-dude:

I have written a push-button tool that takes a novice 'round the world' of an Oracle database. You can proceed in sequence to see what happens to a SQL statement from start to finish or you can jump to any button for quick reference.

It's written in html so it runs in any browser and you can add your own notes (or corrections) to what I've written. Nothing goes into the registry. I'd be happy to send it to you (free of course) and hear your opinion.

If you (or anyone reading this) are interested, send me a note at revnice@pacbell.net

rev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back