Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote X Display under RHEL5.4 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilville

MIS
Apr 8, 2005
US
I have installed a bright shiny new Red Hat Enterprise Linux system version 5.4 (workstation) and am now having trouble connecting back to it's X dispaly from an ssh session or an LSF spawned job. I think if this is solved for either it will solve both. Used to be several methods available for either disabling or effectively disabling access control for the server screen by display number such as xhost + possibly with hostname list, /etc/Xn.hosts files for the several likely display numbers one might need, editing config files and so on. These seemed to work well under Xfree86, but now under xorg they don't seem to have much effect. I suspect there is still a way to do this, but I can't seem to come up with a working combination. I want to be able to ssh to some host and set the DISPLAY environment variable back to the machine I am logged in to and have a display come back to me. Both ends of the transaction are running RHEL5.4. Using ssh -Y seems to work just fine, but that is not the mechanism I need for several reasons, especially under LSF control. (LSF is a load balancing job scheduler for compute farms.) There are times we need to run LSF in its interactive mode (spawning interactive jobs) and the xhost + mechanism used to work just fine for this, but apparently not any more. I have to assume I am overlooking something simple, but I am a loss for what else to try. I have sought out a number of control files to try changing settings, but to avail so far. Anyone have expertise with this release of xorg? If so can you make a suggestion for me to try? Please feel free to ask for whatever details of my setup I have neglected to mention, if that will help.

Run gdmsetup, go to the Security tab and uncheck "Deny TCP connections to Xserver". Until you do that Xorg does not even listen on any TCP ports for display connections.

Log out and log in again to load the new configuration. You still need to run xhost + (or something more specific if it's a concern in your environment) to authorise remote connections.

This thread pointed me in the right direction.

Annihilannic.

That did the deed!

I had gotten onto that LinuxQuestions website and found some threads that nibbled at it, but didn't do it, but I managed to miss the one you pointed out. The old "another pair of eyes see what you are missing" syndrome.

Once again, you have been most helpful!! Thanks a whole lot for doing this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back