Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote workers on IP Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW111

Programmer
Feb 28, 2004
GB
In the very near future I will have to set-up 30 remote workers on an IP406, and need help, concerning the best way to achieve it.
I will be installing a VCM30 in the IP406. The main site will have a 2Meg SDSL connection. The remote workers will have an ADSL at home, and they will use the IP4602 telephone.
The SDSL will have a static IP address, but the home workers will have both dynamic and static IP address'.
As I have minimal networking knowledge, can anyone point me in the right direction for VPN information, or if anyone has done this, and can offer pointers then that's even better.

Appreciate any help.

IP406 has max. capacity of VCM 20, you'll need IP412 to install VCM 30 :)

Hi mate

After you have upgraded to the IP412, you will need to create tunnels between the Router at the office and all the routers at home, use ipsec as it has more security. Then you will need to create an Ip route on the system, to the home users Network address with the default gateway being the router at the office. And that is it reply if need help.

cheers

Also if the end users do not have static Ip address you will have to use something like no-ip.com to give them a dynamic address.

But make sure the routers can handle dynamic addressing.

Many thanks chap.

Can you tell me if the IP Office, as well as the router needs it's own static IP address from the ISP?

Have you set one up on a VPN. I'm concerned about poor quality. Apparently each packet takes 1 millisecond to encode through a VPN.

If you didnt use a VPN and you had a static address on the SDSL link, and the homeworker had static IP address on their ADSL, would this be any better.

Really do appreciate your help on this one.

Thanks

Keep in mind that your remote users are using an IP Hardphone yout will have to use a Hardware VPN tunnel. I have had this working on the Avay VSU, SonicWall (Tele3) and a Linksys. The Sonicwall by far out performed and it was the easiest to set up.

I have setup with fewer IP phones using Linksys and cable modems and works great. Our local cable provider sells voice over IP service so there network in fast, I don't know about DSL. Our initial testing with our DSL connection stunk, we had latency issues.

RW111

We have made sure that the office adsl has it's own static ip address from the isp and so do the remote users adsl connections. But in one case one of the remote workers did not have a static ip address so we used just register with the details of the remote users adsl connection. Then on the router at the office pu in the information such as fred@no-ip.com in the destination for the ipsec tunnel and that is it.

As long as the tunnel is up it is a doddle.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back