Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote VShadow execution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlegmer

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2005
US
Greetings,

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to pose this problem so if it isn't please point me elsewhere.

I'm writing a script for our facility that will allow the user to backup parts of their HDD to the server. I want to utilize VShadow.exe in order to get around locked .PST files when this script gets run. The script will be on a network share for the end users to launch (or maybe even schedule). The basics of the script will be similar to
I can get it to work just fine when I do everything local, the problem occurs when I try to do it from a shared mapped drive. Here is the call I'm making from the script:

z:\vshadow.exe -script=vss-setvar.cmd -exec=vss-exec.cmd c:

The following are the errors I get when running it from the mapped drive:

VSHADOW.EXE 2.2 - Volume Shadow Copy sample client
Copyright (C) 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

(Option: Generate SETVAR script 'vss-setvar.cmd')
(Option: Execute binary/script after shadow creation 'C:\Windows\Temp\VSS\vss-exec.cmd')
(Option: Create shadow copy set)
(Gathering writer metadata...)
(Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)
Initialize writer metadata ...

ERROR: Win32 call "GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointW((LPCWSTR)volumeRootPath.c_str(), WString2Buffer
(volumeName), (DWORD)volumeName.length())" failed.
- GetLastError() == 3
- Error text: The system cannot find the path specified.

- Please re-run VSHADOW.EXE with the /tracing option to get more details

I then ran -Tracing on a successful local instance and also when it fails from the remote drive. Here is the difference I noticed:

Local Works
---------------

[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 296]] ENTER GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 300]] - Get volume path name for C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci ...
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 308]] - Path name: C:\ ...
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 313]] - Volume name for path: \\?\Volume{52543160-dfe3-11d8-9c8a-806d6172696f}\ ...

Remote Fail
--------------

[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 296]] ENTER GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 300]] - Get volume path name for \ ...
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 308]] - Path name: Z:\ ...
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 312]] Executing Win32 call '"GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointW((LPCWSTR)volumeRootPath.c_str(), WString2Buffer(volumeName), (DWORD)volumeName.length())"' ERROR: Win32 call "GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointW((LPCWSTR)volumeRootPath.c_str(), WString2Buffer(volumeName), (DWORD)volumeName.length())" failed.
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 296]] OUTPUT: ERROR: Win32 call "GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointW((LPCWSTR)volumeRootPath.c_str(), WString2Buffer(volumeName), (DWORD)volumeName.length())" failed. - GetLastError() == 3
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 296]] OUTPUT: - GetLastError() == 3 - Error text: The system cannot find the path specified.
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 296]] OUTPUT: - Error text: The system cannot find the path specified.

Even though I specify C: in the command, it still tries to do z:.

This is running on an XP SP3 client box.

Please advise and thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back