Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote vpn connect or demand dial? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paasch

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2001
US
I remote dial-up connect into my vpn network from 1 pc. It works fine. How can I connect 3 or 4 computers using a server from a remote network to the vpn host? I want to make 1 connection on each end so both networks see each other. Thanks.

if you are using Windows 2000, then you can create a tunnel between two remote servers by creating
- a demand dial interface
- static routes on both servers, pointing to that demand dial interface

Configure your clients to use the server as default gateway and if they try to ping a server in the remote network, after a few seconds (after establishing the tunnel) you will be able to access the remote site

This works in both directions

Also, if you want to browse each other's network, you can even set up 1 Windows 2000 network, and let AD replicate using the VPN tunnel;
you can set up WINS to do netbios name resolution over subnets, and access shares across the VPN

but all of this will only work if both sites are in different IP subnets. I have not failed, I just found 10000 ways that don't work

Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Did this post help ? Click below to let me know ;-)

This particular site is using 10.10.1.x on one end and 10.10.20.x on the other. I establish the demand dial interfaces do the static route use the ip in ip. It works fine. But I can only see the other side from the server on each side. I am using terminal server to setup the other side. What do I say the gateway is? The server on each side for that network?

you can have a look at this document :

it explains very clear how to set it up... ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back