Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote viewing of Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipster

Programmer
Nov 13, 2000
GB
Hi,

What I want to be able to do is view the desktop of another remote Windows XP machine from my Windows XP machine.

I have tried remote desktop and remote assistance but none seem to give me what I want.

With remote desktop it doesn't show me the actual logged-on desktop and seems to "log-on" to something entirely different, and with remote assistance you need to allow the user to control your machine.

I currently use something called NetSupport to control about twenty XP machines which allows me to control the desktops and block anyone from using it while I am.

Has Microsoft got anything like this yet, and how do I configure it correctly?!

Thanks.

K Abbott IT Manager / Web Developer

Remote Control is included in Microsoft SMS (System Management Server), but that's probably a very large (and expensive) sledge hammer to crack a rather small nut.

Not had a great deal of experience with Remote Desktop, but if you log on using exactly the same username and password as whoever has logged onto the desktop you want to view, then you ought to see what they see.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I have to agree with G0AOZ. Remopte desktop does exactly what you want as long as you log in with the exact same user you want to see.

For starters make sure the user you want to see is set to be able to connect via Remote Desktop. And when connecting via Remote Desktop use that exact user and password in the relevant fields in the dialogue box.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

You can use third party software like VNC (free) or Radmin (paid) to view a desktop. There are others but I'ved used both those programs and they work great. These are nice because you can have remote access to a PC and the user also has access so you both can see what is going on. Nice if you have to show someone how do something.

Where as with Windows Remote Desktop only one person can see what's going on. I've never used remote assistance so I can't speak for that.

Cheers
Rob

as long as your target machine has remote assistance enabled, you can offer to support their machine, as long as you know the name.

Fire up the Help system on your machine, and search for "offer remote assistance". It will find the required link.

Hint - copy this link to your dekstop - its too damn useful not to have it there!!

Then simply type in the computer name or IP address.

The actual shortcut is...

hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/unsolicitedrcui.htm

You will need admin rights, remember :)

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy

WE use Track-It for remoting in clients systems, and also Windows XP Remote Desktop Connection which was a pain in the butt with the CAC setup.

But both ways are working fine for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back