Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote users and name resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxWave

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2001
US
THE SETUP:
I have set up a test MS Exchange 2000 Server. I gave it a real domain and FQDN. It is presently behind a packet-filtering firewall. I opened the following ports: 135, 1027, 80, 445, 1226 and 1246. For example the domain is domain.com. The server's netbios name is EXCHANGE and CNAME and MX record is mail.domain.com. I have set up a
laptop with Win2K Pro, joined it to the domain called DOMAIN, and installed and configured MS Outlook 2000.

THE PROBLEM:
When I created the Exchange Service Profile in Outlook I entered mail.domain.com and the user name, clicked Check name and the name changed to EXCHANGE. I was hoping it would stay with the FQDN. When I take the laptop off the network and dial up it seems to be trying to resolve the netbios name EXCHANGE instead of mail.domain.com. I
created an entry in the hosts file and this resolves the problem. When I log into the LAN I have to undo the change. I cannot have the users making this change when I deploy this.

OTHER RELEVANT INFO:
If I am dialed onto the net or on the LAN, I can resolve
mail.domain.com correctly. I have an internal and external DNS server taking care of this.

ANOTHER QUESTION:
Is there a totally different way of doing this? I do not want to go the way of IMAP. I want to use MAPI only. Are the ports I am opening a huge security hole? I will be implementing OWA but I want to make sure this works also.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back