Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Tool versus Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnt25

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2003
US
Hey Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding Terminal Services, PC Anywhere and SMS 2003 remote tools client agent.

What has your experience been with the remote tools client agent in SMS? Has it been realiable on your 2000 and 2003 server machines? If so, how does it compare to terminal services and such products as PC Anywhere for remote control capabilities?

Just looking for some guidance as I am not sure how to leverage the SMS remote tool in comparison to the others mentioned.

Thanks,
Matt

My first comment is license costs. SMS includes Remote Tools access via the CAL's and the ability to manage access to the Administrator Console is very secure.

I have good results while wired/wireless on the same 10/100 LAN with NT4_SP6a and Win200Pro, though WAN access is not as desired or slow/fails. I do not use it on servers as most remote work is required via WAN. I use Terminal Services for the SMS server while on a remote session.

I use VNC for computer systems accross the WAN as VNC is acceptable for almost any remote application controlling, other than MS Internet Explorer, and is free.
We use PC Anywhere for maintenance departments access to manufacturing equipment, due to seperate security built in that good product. VNC's security is more administrator oriented via registry settings *handled by "reg" import files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back