Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote to a pc and join it to the domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

longhair

MIS
Feb 7, 2001
US
good morning.
a newebie at sms (the network admin usually handles but is out of the office). i have a pc on the 172.x.x.x network and we are on the 192.x.x.x network.
sms is installed on the client while it was on the 192 network.
in network discovery properties is see that the 172 network is listed under the 192 network.
in collections -> all systems i see the pc named but with the ip that it had while on the 192 network and am unable to start remote tools (which i assume is how you remote to the pc) to move it out of its workgroup and into its domain.
any assistance would be appreciated.
regards,
longhair

How long ago did the machine change networks?

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix

One way you could do it, you could remove the object completely, if you dont need the histories etc. and re-push the client locally from the machine (even though this wont "re-install" it, it should force a full hinv. Really, this should have been auto-detected, but without delving into your setup and the config of the problem machine, I dont know what to do to find out WHY it's not working.

another option is to go into the database and "play" with the value. Find the table that contains the network settings and change the ip address. You will have to rebuild the group based that is effected by ip ranges, otherwise the old "skeleton" will remain.

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back