Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote support questions??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

congaman59

Technical User
Jul 9, 2008
US
I have a couple of quick questions.
I am starting my own business removing malware. I am going to do remote removal. What remote software would be the best to do this? The only one I have used is Team Viewer. Will the free ver of that support unattended computers? I would like to have an app that I can email someone and have them click on a link to install the app to give me access for a certain amount of time whether they uninstall it or not.

I know you are looking for a free solution but to achieve what you want you will have to spend a little money. Look at logmein as well team viewer you mentioned and checkout gotomypc. As for malware removal remotely this can be a challenge if it sets up a proxy and cuts off internet.

I do all this for a living and there is no one software that removes it all. On average to truly clean up an infected pc takes 5 different applications and about an hour and a half. Most users wait till they are severely infected before seeking help. Good Luck

Just out of interest what 5or so tools would you recommend? I know there are a lot of cleaners and scrubbers out there.

Combofix (Only has 32bit ver), hitman pro (30 day trial), Malwarbytes, Spybot S&D, Superantispyware (Free Edition) and Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Also use ccleaner and ez pc fix to clean the pc cookies and other files first. What I suggest is use Combofix, Hitman and Malwarbytes first and if these find a lot then use the rest. Make sure you remove all the software after but leave Malwarbyte on is it is a very good program.

Also I have seen at times the removing has wiped out explorer so on reboot there is no desktop and that will require a windows repair or copy the file from another machine and place it in the affected. This is why I do not suggest doing this remotely.

Do you remove all temp files before you start?

Typically I do but if the pc is so infected then running the cleaners I wait till after the first program runs. The program I use first if it is apparent that the pc is infected is combofix. If the pc isn't showing signs of infection then I start with malwarbytes.

I know the geed squad and others do remote malware removal. I wonder how they avoid that pitfall? There is a fellow in the Orlando area who I spoke with on the phone who has the process automated on his website. He wouldn't divulge how he did it or what software he used. He charges $50 for a remote cleaning and $100 if he goes out on site. What do you think about that pricing? I'm trying to figure out my price structure.
If you can do it remotely it saves a lot of time and expense. Then except for your time and the possible cost of your remote software your are making %100 profit. You can do a lot more of those in a day as well.
I suppose if you couldn't repair the pc online you could charge back the other "$50" and make a house call.
You could always send the customer a copy of ultimate boot and tell theme to save it to a thumb or cd ahead of time. then call theme if you need them to use it.
Will some of the remote software give you access to the bios?
By the way thanks for sharing the removal tools with me. I've been compiling a list on my own.
It seems to me root-kits are the most dastardly of the malware. Have you ever tried or heard of Sophos Anti-Rootkit?
I'll make this the last question. Do you find you have to del registry keys or strings manually often? Because that would eat up a good bit of time especially if you are on a flat rate call.

As for pricing that depends on your area and what other techs are requesting. As for manually edit reg hardly ever we use a program ccleaner to clean up the pc. Also look at EZ PC Fic and Dial a Fix to help fix other related issues. But as for edit the reg, if you get to that point my thought is time to nuke the drive and reload.
Another thing you should do before virus removal is disable sys restore as it can contain copies of virus and malware. Then when all is completed enable it and create a new restore point.

Download Herens Boot DISK - ISO IMAGE and create a Bootable CD. it will boot PC and load a Mini XP with many tools including antivirus. You can create your own tools too.

I Highly recommend this tool to initially clean a pc if it is infected to the point where it will not even boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back