Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote shutdown W2K machine from XP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinM

Vendor
Jan 5, 2005
US
I am currently looking for a "last-ditch" method to remote reboot machines. Most of the time support to these sites is via a dial up UltraVNC connection to a "gateway" machine running XP Pro, then via pcAnywhere to other machines (W2k Pro and XP Pro) on the network.

Once in a while I have had situations where the were I was not able to connect from the "gateway" machine to the machines running pcAnywhere, but the OS is still operational. This can be due to someone accidentally closing the pcAnywhere host, the host crashing, or the OS not allowing proper operation of the host. In the aforementioned cases I was still able to ping the remote machines.

In my quest I have been experimenting with rexec in conjunction with the shutdown.exe command and the /r switch. Using the rexec command seemed straight forward, but the target keeps refusing the connection. I do have admin privileges on all machines, for testing firewalls have been disabled and the user name on the target machine has admin privileges.

I have also tried using the shutdown.exe command, targeting the remote machine, without preceding it with the rexec command. When this is tried I receive an “access is denied” message from the target machine.

In both of the above cases I am attempting to control a W2K Pro machine from an XP Pro machine. I have two questions regarding this problem:

1)Is this an authentication issue due the the differences in OS or another issue?

2)The shutdown.exe command does not appear to support a user name/PW for the remote machine. If this is indeed the case, how is the command authenticated?

Thanks in advance.

try pstools from - it´s free and powerful - for your issue: psshutdown (contained in pstools)

--------------------------------------
>>>>>> Bugs will appear in one part of a working program when another 'unrelated' part is modified <<<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back