Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

3d3rosa

Programmer
Jul 5, 2000
IT
When I try to execute a remote-shell command $cmd on a workstation WS_B from a workstation WS_A:<br><br>rsh -l $user WS_B $cmd<br><br>I receive this error:<br><br>rcmd: socket: Permission denied<br><br>On WS_B $user home directory there is the correct .rhosts file: if I try to execute a rcp from WS_A to WS_B, it works!<br><br>How can I solve this problem?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>3d3rosa

A couple of things to check:<br><br>* Make sure the .rhosts file is in the home directory for $user.<br>* Make sure the permissions on the .rhosts are 400, and that it is owned by $user.<br>* Make sure there is a DNS or /etc/hosts entry for WS_A on WS_B.<br><br>If these are all OK, then the rsh should work. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>--<br>
0 1 - Just my two bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back