Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote server re-boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

repairer

Vendor
Jan 10, 2002
I have a Windows 2000 server as my web server located with an Internet provider. My question is, if I want to re-boot my server how can I do it remotely? I have read about shutdown.exe and tried it on a local PC using the shutdown.exe -r command, but the PC just re-boots back to the logon and it still needs someone to enter the password, is it possible to use this command and enter password prior to re-boot so my server automatically re-boots back to desktop without any user intervention?

Many thanks

Pete

You could set up the Auto Administrator Login the only drawback is the password is in clear text in the registry.

Look up
MicroSoft KB article 186501

You can set the server to automatically log on whenever it reboots. Download a copy of TweakUI from Microsoft and install it on the server.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

no need for VNC, just install terminal services on the server (admin mode) from control panel--> add / remove. then you can log into it from any client running the client software, restart, shutdown, and control anything you need on this server.

scottie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back