Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Server IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

VieiraR

MIS
Jul 3, 2003
US
Ok,

I have created a VPN server with 2 NIC 1 for the Intranet and 1 for the Internet. Everything is workng fine and access is going great. However, I hade set up a block of IP's for the server to give out. Ie. 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.100 I noticed going throught the logs that the Remote server has aquired one of the IP addresses to be used on the server adapter. Why is this? The system has and internal IP for the Domain and and external IP for the Internet. Any answers would be great. Also we set up that the passwords will expire. However our remote users are rarely in the office. Is their anyway to allow them to change it remotely? As of now if there password has expired and needs to be changed they have to call us and have us change it. The vpn tunnel will not authenticate them and tell them to change the password. Thanks for any and all help.

Rich

the Remote server has aquired one of the IP addresses to be used on the server adapter. Why is this?

Perfectly normal and expected behavior. The VPN is a tunnel with two endpoints, one on the client and one on the server. The server has to have an address for it's endpoint, that's where it comes from.

I would assume you are using a Windows server, in which case I can't think of any way that you could allow users to reset their own expired passwords. Might want to query the W2K server forum, a lot more exposure there.

Yes we are using windows 2003 server. I will try that forum. Also it will aquire one of the IPS even though the other card is connected to the network ie 192.168.1.101
Thanks for the help mhkwood

Rich

Yes, it will always take an IP from your address pool, so the pool has to have enough addresses for the number of incomming connections + 1. The VPN connection uses a virtual network interface for the server side end-point, which has to have it's own IP.

I have set up one win2k server as VPN Server. I was able to ping and logon to the server successfully using a win2k pro client machine.

However, when I browse the drive of the server, I can see only shared drive of my VPN server and not the drives of the network.

Im browsing the drive using Explorer and I typed \\169.214.50.52 on the address bar. This is the Server IP I got when I view the status of VPN connection. Is it the way to browse network on the other side?

When I browsed Client IP \\169.214.60.25 drive from the server, I cannot access?

My client is setup using IP 192.168.0.x and the VPN Server and Network with PDC is in range of 192.168.10.x

Is there something I missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back