Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote server Hostdump script problems with Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

christhomas1977

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I wonder if u can help solve a problem.

We are using the hostdump scripts from backupcentral.com to back up our servers (Solrais 2.6). The tape drive is attached to one server and all the other servers are backed up to that device over the network. Here is the problem.

I want to set up a backup user so that we don't have to have the root user in the .rhost and hosts.equiv file etc.

The problem is when the user is setup and added to the sys group and then that user is added to the .rhosts and hosts.equiv files etc, the backup fails for remoter machines. It does however still back up the local machine.

U can rsh between the boxes using the backup user so we are a bit stumped as to what the problem is.

We do get permission denied errors and rsh errors, but u can rsh maually. Has any anybody experienced this error?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

What are the errors?

Are you running the script in the backup users cron? Remember that the cron job environment is not the same as running a job while logged in as that user.

A bit more info would help :)

Greg.

Hi,

Yes sorry I forgot to post the error.

The backup is being run via the root cron.

The error I get is a rsh error.

WARNING! Could not /usr/bin/rsh from (remote server) to backup server). It will not be backed up!

It complains that it can't rsh from the remote server to the backup server. But, u can rsh manually via the backup usr. Is there some sort of rsh restriction when it is run as a cron?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Any cron jobs in root's crontab will run as root.

Try adding it to the backup user's crontab instead.

Alternatively use su - backupuser -c "backup command" in root's crontab.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back