Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote SDM! Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jh041497

Technical User
Oct 30, 2009
US
Before I get to deep into this I wanted to get some opinions on this. I currently manage most of my routers by authenticating to a firewall and from there I can ssh or telnet to a console server. From there I manage my routers and switches. I don't think it is but is it possible to load SDM on the router and my PC and "somehow" connect through the firewall and console server via my web browser?

Yes. Load SDM on flash, and

ip http secure-server
ip http authen local
username bla priv 15 secret blabla

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Even if my pc and router are on different subnets?

Yeah you may need to change the default listening port of the sdm and the port porward that through the router.

20 yrs old, working towards my CCNP. Looking for a new job :)

Yes---in other words, statically NAT the router IP to the public IP of the outer interface in the firewall.

/

Building dependency tree

ooops i meant firewall.

20 yrs old, working towards my CCNP. Looking for a new job :)

Happy Halloween...

/

Building dependency tree

I didn't do a good job explaining my network properly. I"m sitting on our corporate network and authenticate to a firewall that has legs to multiple networks that serve a variety of purposes. From there I telnet to a network that I set up strictly for my console servers. I then jump on to the Logical Solutions Secure Console Server and then simply connect to whatever routers I have connected to the console server. Given the nature of our business I would not be able to make any changes to the firewall without getting some major approval. I just don't see how I would get it to work because I'm using a Secure CRT program to connect to the firewall and the console server. I don't see how my browser would know to establish a connection with the remote router through this program? Maybe I'm missing something..........

HTTP from the server. Is this an option?

/

Building dependency tree

I think your missing a little basic networking.
The way you explained it, it is not possible, you are using a console server from which you reverse telnet into the router. Plus the routers would need routes to your network,and you would need to poke a whole in the firewall.

You are managing these routers?

@burtsbees
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back