Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Ptr goes BUSY or DISABLED

Status
Not open for further replies.

arboundy

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2002
AU
Hey all,

Apologies, I am a NT nerd, so if I get the wording wrong try not to laugh too hard.

I have a ERP packaging which prints to a remote printers on a Win2K Ptr Server (which is running LPD 515).

Everything will work dandy for a while, but at least once a day (normally over night), the process stops working with the Remote Printer shown as "BUSY" in SAM.

If this goes long enough it will even disable the Ptr entirely.

I can normally kick the thing in the guts by either enabling the printer, restarting the spooler, or a combination. Unfortunately we print across countries, so I am getting the wake up call at 4am.

[I have to print to the NT spool as it is actually form software which manipulates the stream]

I have cron'ed spooler restarts, enables etc, but your guarenteed the problem occurs after they have run, and you cant run them every 5 min!

I have heard in other Unix flavours there is a recovery process: lpadmin -p PRINTER -F beginning (Ref: but my HPUX 11 doesnt have a clue about -F.

I reckon that by default HPUX is doing "-F wait" requiring sysadmin intervention.

Whats the question you are all asking??

Anyone know if there is a recovery process like above for UX? a timeout till retry on the BUSY? anything that will self repair the process?

If there isnt - is there alternative print/spool management software for HPUX??

Hi anikan,

When the remote printer shows as BUSY in sam, is it shown as busy in NT?

Mike

"Deliver me from the bane of civilised life; teddy bear envy."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back