Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Procedure Call failed and did not execute

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRSOLO

Technical User
Jan 28, 2003
IE
Hello

I have a script which depending on what constant value is set, can Power off, Shutdown, Logoff, Reboot a number of PCs as defined in a text file.

However if I run it against a list of Computer names, it only works against a small percentage.
I have verified by running against individual PCs which PCs will power down and which ones wont.
The error that comes up consistently on the ones that wont power off is "The Remote Procedure call failed and did not execute"
Have already verified that the same RPC services are running on both the machines that Power off and those that dont. They also appear to have the same version of vbscript.dll and so far I can not see any common factor between the machines that the script works on and a common factor on those that it doesnt.

Appreciate if anyone can point me in a new troubleshooting direction
Thanks

No firewall ?
No privileges issue ?

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Hello MRSOLO,

Check the remote m/c if the remote scripting is enabled.
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Scripting Host\Settings]
"Remote"="1"
regards - tsuji

Hi tsuji
I checked two PCs, one on which the script works and one on which it doesn't both had the registry value = 0.
When I changed the registry value to 1 on the PC that the script gives an error on, it still didnt work.
I Also exported the registry keys for "Windows Scripting host" and "Windows Script Host" from the PC that the script works on and imported into the PC that it doesnt work on but unfortunately no go.
I really appreciate your help, can you think of any other troubleshooting directions I can take.
Thanks
MRSOLO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back