Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelechi

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
NG
I have the following problem:
I have the following setup:
There is a computer that contains my database in host site A.
There are one computers each in remote sites B and C.
Computer A is connected to a switch A via a T1 card in computer A and another T1 card in switch A.

Computer B is also connected to switch B via T1 cards

Computer C is also connected to switch C via T1 cards

Now, A is the host site containing the database.

Both Computer B and C connect to A as follows: an external modem connects to the computer. A cable with db25 end connects to a modem and the other end, a db9 connects to one of the ports of a 2-port Async Router (4.8" x 3.7" x .8"). This is the setup at each site. The remote sites connect to A( the host) via the modem-Router setup. (The distance is about 20KM apart)(Remember A has its own Modem-Router setup).

Now when one attempts to connect to the databse in A from site B, everything is fine. But connecting from C gives a "SQL cannot connect" error. A lot of error boxes pop up showing a "cannot connect to database error". Yet on checking the link, from both A-end and C-end thro the Router software (SERCOMM) it shows a "link established". The settings are the same for both C and B. What is the solution to this kind of headache?

Any idea will be welcome.

Is this a MS configuration (servers and SQL)? You also said there was a link established, are remote devices pingable? This may be some kind of timeout issue with WINS (just throwing out a thought).

if it's a timeout, i believe same thing should be happening from the B site.

It could still be a timeout issue on the client side at that site if WINS replication isn't occurring.

You hadn't mentioned, are the remote devices pingable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back