Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Printing with DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

farhsyed

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2001
I have created remote print queues on printers attached with PC desktop with windows 2000/XP, connected directly to desktop or via jet direct card. Now the problem is that those PC's are conncting to AIX via telnet and the PC's IP are dynamic. The AIX is not configured with DHCP, but the pool of desktop connected to a DHCP domain.

How would i create a remote que from AIX without a fix IP.

Thanks

farhsyed

Hi,
you said the PC is using the printer through the JetDirect card. You can set the fixed IP address on your HP JetDirect card and define your print queue from AIX directly to the printer's JetDirect IP address.

If the printer is connected directly to your PC's serial or parallel port then you will always have some problems. However, you can define print queues using only hostnames - and the hostnames are usually resolved through DNS. You can use the DHCP to update the DNS, but I expect this to be a nightmare in your environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back