Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Printing setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSC729

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2002
US
Hello everyone! I work for a company that is headquartered in South san francisco and has a branch in Portland oregon. The Portland branch is connected via a dedicated data line but they also have an IDSL line as well.

They have a Tally printer(with both serial and parallel connections)in Portland oregon that is connected to a Win2K box via a parallel connection and connected to our Unix system via the serial connection, the printer recieves all print jobs from our Unix system via the dedicated line.

I want to connect the printer to our SCO unix Server In south san francisco CA via the IDSL line. The dedicated digital data line costs us Big $$ so we decided change over all data transmission between SSF and Port from the dedicated line to the IDSL line. The only problem is that under the IDSL transmission scheme the Tally printer will need to recieve print jobs via TCP/IP hence, I installed a win2K box in Portland to act as a print server for the Tally, the win2K box is connected to the internet via the IDSL line and has its own static public IP address.

I've heard that win2K has Unix printing support which is both able to send and recieve Unix print jobs. Specifically it recieves print jobs using lpdsvc and send using LPR. In addtion I know that SCO unix supports remote printing. I know how to start lpdsvc but how does one configure it?? Is remote printing using lpdsvc feasable using the aformentioned scheme or should I opt out for more specialized packages like RPM elite? When configuring the SCO unix printer manager will it be enough to simply put in the public IP address of the win2K box as the "host name" ?? Or do I need to configure other parameters??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back