Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote printing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

r2016

Technical User
Dec 11, 2005
US
Hi, I have a WD Netcenter hard drive and I have my printer hooked upto it so it is a network printer. What I want to do is be able to print on my home printer while I am away via the internet. I tried to put in my wan ip address and the port number which is 1038 and that did not work......Does anyone have any ideas?

Having your printer hooked up to a computer doesn't make it a network printer - does your printer have a NIC and its own IP Address? You'd have to turn on port forwarding on your router to get from the public to private IP.

..and to add to that..you'd also probably need to install the printer drivers for your home printer on your remote pc.

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....

Yes this printer is not plugged into the computer but is plugged into a network hard drive which acts as a print server. The print server is hooked upto the computer via eithernet and the printer is hooked up to the hardrive via USB. The network hardrive does have an ip address on the network and I think that I have the port that should be forwarded (port 1038 for western digital)...... When I go to pu in my wan ip address with the port number my remote computer will not connect and will tell me that the printer cannot be found.....I am using the add network printer option in the control panel.

Ok, question...exactly what printer is it? Does the printer have an IP of it's own or are you relying onthe external HDD to pass on the print jobs? I'm kinda reaching here, but in my experience, if the printer does not have either it's own IP or a UNC path to it, Windows will not print over the network to it.
However, without knowing the specifics, it's impossible to say for sure..more info please! :eek:)

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back