Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Outlook Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

EST7745

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2003
US
Currently, we have our remote users accessing outlook by doing the following....

They have outlook installed on their computer...

We have the HOSTS file in Winnt\systems32\drivers\etc storing the IP address and hostname of the server

This setup has always seemed to work fine, however a few computers have stopped connecting to the exchange server all of the sudden.....no setting in the hosts file have been changed. In fact, no settings to anyone's knowledge have been changed period. Outlook will just timeout and say that the exchange server is available.......but we CAN ping it so how could it be unavailable??? Should I juggle the binding order around for outlook? Anything else I could try? Thanks!!

I discovered the same issue with several remotes, the issue is
Outlook uses port tcp 135 during the logon process (RCP)

MSBlaster also attacks on port tcp 135

most ISP currently are blocking tcp 135 to curb the spread of MSBlaster

Check with your ISP they are probably (if they admit to it) port 135. You will not be able to change their mind on this one. I am trying to find a work around.

Steve Bowman
steve.bowman@ultraex.com

They are claiming that no filtering or port blocking is going on. Should I trust what they tell me? Are there any other things that I can check?

Don't trust what they tell you. It is them! We talked to over 9 people at SWB before we finally got an honest answer. Trouble is now, they refuse to put it back. Trying also to find a workaround using Pop3 for external clients.

Like I said

"Check with your ISP they are probably (if they admit to it) blocking port 135."

most ISP's will give incorrect info on this issue, also depending on the level of tech you get he/she might not even be aware of it. You need a core NOC tech to verify port block.

Steve Bowman
steve.bowman@ultraex.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back