Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote office IP's static, I want it dynamic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoe2

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2002
US
What do I have to do to make it so?
We currently have 2 offices, 13 users in home office (dynamically assigned IP's) and 45 users in our remote office, static.

What will it take for me to be able to dynamically assign IP's to the remote office users?

We're running an NT environment, but are in the process of upgrading, just making final decisions on whether to go 2000 or 2003 server.

Thanks!

Corie

You will need a DHCP server to hand out the IPs dynamically, and you will need to set your hosts to use DHCP.

Wow, it sounds so simple. Right now I have a separate gateway and SNM for the remote office.
Will I need a new router? Right now we have a couple Cicso Pipeline 130 routers.

Thanks!

Specifically he needs a DHCP server on the Remote Office's LAN doesn't he? I'm not sure if he realizes that. Or I may be wrong as well.

Aaron

I thought that the server would need to be on location, however, I also thought there could be only one DHCP server in a domain... Right now, we only have one domain, with the satellite office set up with static IP's, no servers there.
I was thinking it would be complicated, having to set up a different domain for the addressing, unless there is a router available that doesn't have to be a gateway...

But maybe I don't have a clue. Wouldn't be the first time! :)

Thanks again!

Not sure I understand the point here. Don't confuse a router with a DHCP server - routers often include DHCP servers inside them, but a DHCP server can just as easily be software. One you have the WAN link up and running, perhaps with the use of a single static IP server in the remote office, you only need one DHCP serber for everybody. Thats the beauty of networks, it doesn't matter where anything is!

OK, we already have a DHCP server, so that part was easy! :)

Next, the router at the remote office is set up as a gateway, is that correct? somehow, I keep thinking I need a DHCP server behind a gateway... damn, I took one networking calss, and that was a hundred years ago...

Can you explain better the network topology.....how are the sights connected to each other....vpn...point to point...also what network gear is at each site?

T-1's connect the two offices point to point.
Home office: it's kind of like a bus topology, where the T1 comes in, goes through the router into the switch. the firewall and all the servers also go into the switch, as do all the users.
On the other end, it's a simple star, router, switch, users (by the way, I re-read my first post and we have 5 users, not 45! my bad...).

I am the IT department for the company, and know a little about a lot, but I definitely don't know enough about this yet!

Thanks and let me know what other information I can provide.

OK, so if you have everything permenantly connected, all you need to do is put your DHCP server in the remote office, plug it into the switch, and it will sit there happpily dishing out IP addresses to those that need them!

The only issue is the WAN link. Obviously you can't connect a DHCP server through an internet link, because it wouldn't know which of the 100 billion computers it can find to assign IPs to. I assume your router has two IP addresses, one like 192.168 and a public one.

I can't offer a total solution, unfortunately, having never worked specifically with DHCP servers, but can you explain the network topology in more detail? Do you have one network, or do you have two networks which are connected? Gve us some internal IP addresses to help understand the system!

Here goes:
One network, 2 subnets.
Our PDC runs DHCP for the home office. There are no servers in the remote office.
We use thin clients and Citrix to connect.
Only the (really old) Linux firewall/Gateway and the Citrix server have external IP's.
All the servers used to have ext IP's, however I removed them due to all the hacking that was going on when I came on board... also there was no need for them.

HOME OFFICE:
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 has external IP
SNM: 255.255.255.128
WINS 192.168.0.11-12

REMOTE OFFICE:
Gateway:192.168.0.193 no external IP
SNM: 255.255.255.192
WINS: 192.168.0.11-12
workstations: 192.168.0.200 through 204

That's it.
Thanks again, and let me know if I've left anything out!

Corie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back