Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote office GW connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilogy8

Technical User
Jan 26, 2017
US
I'm struggling to find the formal Avaya doc, but I want to hang a remote office GW/h.323 phones off a different CM core. From that GW to the new CM I'm getting 150ms when running ping tests. Is that a safe number to move forward with?

If you can handle 150ms of delay in your audio (at best) then sure.

I would look at something better. A ping test is also not truly indicative of your latency — you need to find out if ICMP is QoS’d away in some fashion, or if that’s your true round trip time.

Avaya doesn’t want more than 0% packet loss (almost any packet loss is unacceptable). The voice latency I usually best the lower you can go, and going above 150-200ms results in awkward audio.

Avaya has a document here:

It’s from 8.1 but the principals apply to all the versions.

Make sure you set up QoS with DSCP markings and that both your carriers and the your equipment will honor and prioritize these DSCP markings for your audio and control traffic.

A ping test isn’t sufficient to guarantee or verify much other than connectivity in this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back