Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote office and pbx

Status
Not open for further replies.

tolinrome

MIS
Apr 20, 2007
We have an Avaya IP Office 500 pbx in our main office that is setup to use both digital and voip phones. We also have a remote office (no pbx) with a vpn connection to our main office. I have two questions:

1. What is the benefit of installing a pbx in the remote office? The requirement is to have users to be able to call locally using their new ip phones and to be able to call the main office by dialing 4 digits. The same goes for calling from the main office, the requirement is to be able to call a local number in the remote area site from the main site as well as a 4 digit ext to the employee.
So how does it technically work? If I'm in the main office and dial a local number at the remote site, it goes through the vpn connection and the pbx there would pass it off as a local call through their pbx to a local line (analog or T1)to the destination number locally, but if I call a user there using the 4 digit extension their pbx just passes it to their externsion in the office. And the same would be from the reverse of them calling from there to here, correct?

2. Instead of installing a pbx in the remote location, is there anyway to accomplish this requirement? Perhaps there is software available from the local ISP that can accomplish this or some other software or soultion which would not require a pbx?

Thanks.

the remote pbx would mainly serve as local survivability.

some PRI providers will let you spoof the number on outgoing calls if that number is coming in on the same PRI its going out of, so if you got a PRI cat the main office and they allowed that then that would work.

You could also get SIP trunks at the main office to accomplish this.

Thnaks gknight1. In my question #1 - was I correct in what I mentioned about how the pbx works and routes the calls?
What do you mean as local survivability?

if your PRI at the main office could spoof numbers or if you had SIP trunks at the main office you could setup the IP phones two ways.

1st way is they connect directly to the main IPO, if this was the case then all of thir calls would go in and out of the main IPO.

2nd way is you could put an IPO at the remote site and connect that IPO to the main IPO. You could route all calls to go back over the main site PRI or SIP trunks. You then could have local lines at the remote site and you could register the phones to the remote site, if you did this, then if the connection between the two sites went down then the IP phones would still be registered to the remote IP where they are located and they could make and recieve calls on the local lines.

there are probably 4 or 5 different ways of completing what you want, it all depends on what your budget is.

You NEED to contact an Avaya Business Partner to help guide you in the direction you want to go and explain the differences between the solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back