Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote monitoring Java applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diancecht

Programmer
Jan 8, 2004
ES
OK, let's go again with one of my strange questions.

Let's imagine that I have a have a Java application running on some machine.

What I'm trying to do is to develop some kind of monitoring software for that application. That software will connect to the remote machine where the java application is running, will get the information and show it to the client.

The information will be mainly about performance: memory used, number of allocated objects and that stuff.

My approaches so far is using the JMX or the JVMPI.

I was wondering if aynoed here faced an issue like this and could give me some advice on APIs, products or tecniques related to this.

Cheers,

Dian

I use JMX all the time for monitoring and controlling the runtime behaviour of remote applications. Its easy peasy and fairly light.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

Thanks sedj, nice to know.

I have a question about this. I've overlooked the JMS specification and I still have a doubt. Do I need to change the monitorized software to make it run?

The idea is making a profiling application, so keeping the server code unchagned woulb be an excellent point.

Cheers,

Dian

JMS is message queue (MQ) software - different to JMX - but I'm guessing that was a typo ?

The easiest way to monitor an app using JMX is to code it into the app (by creating MBean interfaces, and then having your code to monitor implement the interface - thus exposing it to the JMX container).

But I believe it would be possible to create a non-invasive monitor using reflection to extract the relevant data at runtime, and then exposing that data through JMX. Though obviously, this would be trickier !

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

Yes, it was a typo, sorry.

So the fundament is re-coding. I think I'll try the hard way, let's see if it compenses.

Cheers,

Dian

Greetings Dian:

I've read your question about monitoring an application, rigth now I have the same problem, I need to monitorize an application, only to know what processes have been done, and who had done, can you tell me if you get the solution for this matter? so can you give me a clue for solving mine?

I don't much about JMX, but now I'm reading about it

Thanks a lot

Mario

I've almost forgotten this issue.

I finally gave it up, more important things came so it's still in the heap.

I'm afraid I can't tell you much more, Google will help you finding the documentation,

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back