Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Installation Services (RIS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tharrell1

MIS
Sep 26, 2002
US
I have been using RIS to image workstations for the past year or so. No that XP Sp1 is out I would like to image machines with the the Slipstreamed CD. Is it possible to run a RIS server with 2 images. I thought that you could, however, when I added the Windows XP with Sp1 image my list of available images disappeared. When I remove the image the list comes back.

Yes I have used riprep to create/deploy images. However, riprep is used to create specific images. I am currently adding a second flat (risetup) image which is the base image used to build more specific client images. The problem is that the .sif files in the templates directory of each flat image seem to conflict with each other. I found that if you delete the .sif file from the new image directory and then copy the file from the first flat image to the new image and rename the description of the image it seems to work. Not sure why, and would rather not have to do the additional manual editing.

When prompted to create the answer file select use old style. I have slipstreamed sp1 into XPPro and have had no problems with the images, and the answer file was created for me and i then adjusted it to my specifications. I am sure however that I picked to keep the old style when prompted which type of answer file to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back