Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumices

Programmer
Dec 1, 2004
US
Hello, I do manage a small private schools computer network of a around 150 computers. We recently purchased a new school management software for all the computers. My question is this. Is there a way that I can write a code that will remotely install this program from the server. If I share the cd-drive and map it on a computer it will install just fine. I was just wondering if there was any way to map this drive remotely with a program. Even if the user at the computer has to step through the setup process that would be ok. But I would also like the program to have a feature to unmap the drive. Also I once read something about writing macros for install shield installation wizzards so that it would automatically step through the setup. If anyone knows anything about this that would be great. I will probably just end up going around and installing but either way I would like to figure this out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You have a few choices that I can think of:

1) Depending on your network setup, you may be able to add an installation script so that the application is installed when each pc is booted
2) Use remote desktop (or a similiar product such as PCAnywhere, VNC etc) and install the application yourself
3) Use ClickOnce deployment and ask each user to install it themselves

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

or use a group policy

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

I just like this --> [Wiggle] [Wiggle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back