Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote IDR using Bootable CD not working? BE9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoadmin

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
I'm currently testing Remote IDR in Backup Exec 9.0 and having a few problems..

Anyone have any ideas to why when I try to restore a remote machine from my media server, booting up the remote machine using the IDR bootable CD I created in the IDR Wizard does not work..

All that happens is I boot off the CD, it copies files in the w2k setup (dos-style mode) then boots up into setup, runs the IDR program, asks about partitions etc, whether I want to do local device restore or Install network card and do a remote restore from a media server on the network.. I select the second option (remote restore), it then asks that it reboots to detect the network card etc... but upon rebooting I do not get the second part of the IDR wizard asking for logon credentials and the media server, it just keeps running through as below:

Installing Devices..
Installing networking..
Copying Files..
Configuration..

then it abruptley reboots and upon it coming back-up it restarts W2K Setup, its then into looping through the 4 above steps of the setup... never reaching the IDR Wizard again..

anyone had the same issue? and/or fixed this problem??

Are both servers the same hardware? ie:- same number of processors, disk controllers etc.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

both servers do not need to be the same hardware, the whole point of making the bootable remote IDR cd is that is copies drivers off the remote machine, puts them into a custom windows installation and installs this as almost a 'baby-os' as to which is then used to restore into..

I've had this method of remote idr work previously in backup exec 8.6, just in v9 it doesnt appear to work.

No more ideas, you hadn't said that this previously worked though it doesn't work with a different number of processors in the two servers.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back