Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Host Printing in AIX 4.3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2001
US
I recently upgraded our Windows 2000 print server to a new Windows 2003 server and migrated all the printer configurations and it is working fine (as far as windows goes).

The problem is that now AIX is not recognizing any of the printers on the new server.

All printers are installed on AIX using (grfprtsv) as the host name of the remote host. grfprtsv is defined in our Windows based DNS server and no where on the machine itself. After turning off the original print server, changing the dns entry to point to the new print server, updating the new print server to have the same IP address as the old, and updating the "hosts" file in AIX, AIX will still not connect to the remote printers.

The AIX machine will ping txtprtsv and return the right ip and hostname, so I know it isn't a dns issue. Anyone know of anything else I need to change to get the remote printers working in AIX? We have over 100 defined this way and I would surely hate to have to recreate them.

If you have any questions or need any additional info, feel free to ask because I am stuck!

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Brian McGarry

I'm not an AIX user, so keep that in mind here.

W2K3 has changed several security parameters which deal with how it communicates with other servers and clients on the network. If AIX is using an SMB-type method for hitting shared printers, you may need to adjust settings on the W2K3 server to "listen".

This thread has some of the details:

thread865-1058209

If you have created the printers as LPD type remote queues on AIX - then you have to start LPD on the windows box. You may even have to install it again, as I am not sure if it is in the base Win2003 server package.

I believe LPD is called "TCPIP printing" or sth. on windows and you have to start it as a windows "service".

HTH,

p5wizard

I removed and then reinstalled printing services for Unix (LPDSVC) and it started to work after a reboot.

Thanks Guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back