Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote file sharing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

WOLVERINE

Technical User
Jan 8, 2000
GB
i have a main system at home running win98se,this has<br>lan protocols set on it as does my lap top these work<br>fine when at home on a hub or direct cable link.<br>now the thing is i can run my main system as a dial up<br>server and directly phone home and get a connetion,<br>but i cannot get any access to my system on network neighbourhood,i am probably missing the point here?<br>is there a protocol which allows this?<br>or should i be looking at buying some software to do <br>the job?<br>any any help or advice would be greatly received<br>thanks

Try Netmeeting. You'll need to get your IP address before you leave the house. It probably changes everytime you log onto your ISP, unless you can get them to assign you a permanent one...perhaps they will. To get the IP for your home PC, hit Start-Run and type winIPcfg. If anybody else is listening in that has NT, you just use IPcfg. <p> <br><a href=mailto: dreamboat@nni.com> dreamboat@nni.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>

thanks for your response dreamboat but the thing is<br>i am directly dialing my home (ie. cutting out the use of<br>an ISP) so the ip address set by myself in my TCP\IP <br>settings is being used by my lan card or at least appears<br>to be being used i have tried this out by running games and directly dailing to home and then logging into the game<br>and the IP shown is the IP i have set in my protocols...<br>or are the use of games using&nbsp;&nbsp;IPX or NETBEUI protocols??

The easiest way (if not the cheapest) way is to use Symantec's pcAnywhere.

The protocol of choice if all you are wanting to do is dial into your home box and up/download some files is Netbeui.<br><br>Make sure File and Printer Sharing is enabled. Make sure the two units are on the same workgroup. Make sure you have some folders shared on the host computer.<br><br>You may also want to force the host computer to be the Browse Master by going into network properties, File/Print Sharing properties and change the Browse Master setting from Automatic to Enabled.<br><br><br>dxd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back