Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote FAST connection solution to LAN (non-tech users)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCooLIT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2002
I currently have a Windows 2003 domain with 60 pcs and 3 Win2k3 servers (Sql server, File server, Exchange server). We have 5 remote offices, each with on WinXP computer connected to the network using Microsoft VPN (PPtP) connection (over Cable connection to Internet) to our one DSL (SDSL at 1.3MBps)connection which connects to our PIX 560? firewall into the LAN.

My users complain of the slow access to documents on the file server, etc. Should I use Citrix or Terminal Server or do I just need a faster HQ connection? The VPN connection is pretty good but does have slow times; the users expect speeds as if they are in HQ on the LAN. Any suggestions that can allow faster access to files and/or running applications remotely? They mostly just access files and email (one user wants to run MS Great Plains Dynamics remotely....). Any helpful suggestions? My only static IP is at the HQ LAN (for Internet access, mail and Outlook Web Access) We are a non-profit so I need to spend carefully. Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back