Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote execute script (any good SSH-2 freeware ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexChao

Technical User
May 16, 2003
SG

I have a Windows 2003 (Standard) backup server running ARCserve 11.1. One of the server to be backup by the backup server is a Windows 2003 (Enterprise) server running DB2 database.

Does anyone knows how to have the backup server instructs the other server running DB2 database to execute a DB2 shutdown/startup script before and after the backup?

I have explored RCMD.exe (Windows Remote Command) and was told that it is not secure. Someone suggested that the other alternative would be SSH-2 (Secure Shell).

I have visited many SSH-2 related website and I am still confused and unsure what is the SSH-2 equivalent of the Windows RCMD.exe command.

Therefore, I would very much appreciate it if someone could point to me the specific capability of SSH-2 that is equivalent to RCMD.exe. On top of that, I hope someone could also recommend a SSH-2 freeware that would meet the requirement that I mentioned.

Thanks you.

ARCserve offers remote Backup agents. Have you checked with ARCserve to see if they offer anything for DB2? That would be the first step. Then, if that doesn't come through, there are plenty of other backup solutions that do. As far as the request for an SSH capable freeware, have you looked at:

I have used PuTTY, and it was pretty easy to use.....

Thanks to tfg13 for your post. But I am still confused about which of the specific capability of the SSH-2 is relevant to my needs (i.e. I want server A to tell server B to execute a scripts before server A backups server B).

Can PuTTY do that ?

PuTTY is nothing more than a Secure Shell program. Meaning, you can open a command line in a remote server. I think what you may be trying to accomplish could be done with task scheduling, or with the ARCServe program itself. ARCserve should have the capability to run before and after scripts/programs. If it doesn't, and you know the time in which you start the backup, you can write a script to shutdown the database. The issue you will run into is baselining the backup time to know when to have a script that starts the DB back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back