Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote dial in for Definity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen216

MIS
Jul 13, 2006
US
Is there a way for me to dial into the Definity server from home? I do not have a land line at home, just broadband and Vonage, and I do not have a modem on my computer at home, so I was wondering if there was a way to create a virtual modem for the Site Admin program to use, to connect through VOIP, (like skpye?)

Does your LAN have VPN access? If so, then that is the way to go!

-Brian-
Semper Paratus

Generally your modem properties are controlled by your OS. So if you can go into your OS and create a virtual modem (which I personally haven't seen done before) I would think you could use it to dial into the system. It would have to send standard modem tones and pitches though that the modem on you Definity could translate. Another way you may want to look at is to set up a PC with a modem in the office the PBX is located at and load ASA onto this machine. If you can use a remote emulation program like PC Anywhere or VNC to get to that machine you could dial in and program that way.

Ever notice, what seemed like a great idea, turns out to be way more work than you intended? lol.. Thanks all, I cannot get VPN access right now to work. I will probably just get a cheapo modem, my concern is that when you talk on Vonage, there is a very slight delay, hopefully it is not enough to mess up the data connection.

We have had several 'remote' employees that switched to cable based phone service (VOIP). As our people require modem connects to support equipment they quickly learned their connections would not support this. All of them (3 locations) removed their VOIP service and returned to conventional dial tone.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back