Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Device on Storage Node 7.3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masternet

Technical User
Apr 18, 2005
CL
Hi:

I have a Networker server on Linux 7.3.3 an a storage node 7.3.3 on linux, both RHES 3.0

Both servers see a tape library trough SAN
Inquire output of nw server:
scsidev@3.4.0:IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 6B20|Tape, /dev/nst0
scsidev@3.4.1:ADIC Scalar i500 400G|Autochanger (Jukebox), /dev/sg13
scsidev@3.5.0:IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 6B20|Tape, /dev/nst1

Inquire Output of SN
scsidev@2.4.0:IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 6B20|Tape, /dev/nst0
scsidev@2.4.1:ADIC Scalar i500 400G|Autochanger (Jukebox), /dev/sg20
scsidev@2.5.0:IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 6B20|Tape, /dev/nst1

I try to configure the SN trough GUI, but remote device aren`t available to load tapes.

How i can configure corerctly the remote drives?

tahnks

Just run jbconfig on the host to become the SN and answer the questions carefully. NW will do the rest.

Be sure that you have listed your account as NW administrator - otherwise the update of the resource files will be rejected.

The nsrjb command "send" the configuration of davices on SN to NetWorker Server. On Console manager I can see the devices under Storage Node, but I can't mount or label any tape.

In deamon.log file I have a RPC Error:Remote system error

in order to diacard hardware error, i create a directory on /tmp/driveA type file on SN, but also can't make any opertion on this device.
On windows machine, a file device work fine....

UGHHHHHH!!!! help

Does the jukebox load the media at all? If so it may be that you talk to the wrong device during the R/W process. This points to a cross cabling/mixup of the device names during the jbconfig process.

However, it scares me that you can not even use a file device. Did you configure it as remote device (rd=hostname:directory) at all? - Is any nsrmmd process running at the SN at all?

Hi:
no nsrmmd process is running on SN. The nsr services was shutdown (nsr_shutdown) and started again 2 or 3 times.

:(

Assuming that the devices have really been configured as remote devices, this is not a good sign. An enabled device will have exactly one nsrmmd process at the SN, no matter if it is even connected. And the NW server monitors this - you should unsuccessful attempts in the Monitoring window and the the server's log files.

Sorry, but did you really install the SN packet on this machine?

Hi:

Yes, I'm shure that SN is installed on right machine
For dicard reasons, I uninstalled SN 7.3.3 version and install 7.4.

Output command:
[root@dfmcolico root]# rpm -qa lgto*
lgtoclnt-7.4-1
lgtonode-7.4-1

[root@dfmcolico root]# ps -ef |grep nsr
root 8808 1 0 Sep11 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/nsrexecd
root 17779 17192 0 15:59 pts/5 00:00:00 grep nsr

recently I installed other server for SN role, and work fine.

gabriel.
I think that server may have problem, but I don't know why can't start nsrmmd services.

As is said - have a look at the server's logs. They most likely will tell you more.

wich steps must I do to configure correctly an remote device?
If I launch jbconfig from SN, the console show a new library on Storage node plus the original library on NW server.

The SN must see only tape drive of library trough SAN or also must see the "arm" of library like NW server?

Try with a simple file device first. As mentioned already, just specify "rd=hostname:/directory" for this test and you are ready tu run. Simply label the media as usual.

jbconfig must ne run on the node which controls the robot. And there should only be one!

Hi,
some questions ;-)

is there a firewall between the SN and the NW Server ???
if yes it may be a port problem ....

... in the NW Servers LOG file you should have error messages about the nsrmmd's the NetWorker server tried to start on the SN. Do you have?

Have this SN been connected to an other NW Server before
or do you renamed the NW Server ?

with wich user (rights) did you install the SN software ?

Hi:

I have installed a second server in SN role yesterday, then it creates a device type FILE and I have been able to do backup on it.

Now, I have a Dell Tape Library ML6010 connected to SAN. The networker Server and Storage Node can "see" the ML6010:

inquire -s
scsidev@3.4.0:IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 6B20|Tape, /dev/nst0
scsidev@3.4.1:ADIC Scalar i500 400G|Autochanger (Jukebox), /dev/sg13
scsidev@3.5.0:IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 6B20|Tape, /dev/nst1

(obviusly each node see at diferent SCSI ID, the above is a sample of NW Server).

My question now is how I do to configure remote devices of SN on NW Server, running jbconfig on NW server and bypass autoconfigure so that to indicate remote devices like "rd=sn_name:/dev/nstx"?

Answers to quetios of Werb:
Firewall is not present between SN and NW Server.
I don't have any log that can show why nsrmmd service can't start (I think that).

Is a NEW installation.

Root user is used to install software packets.

Gabriel.

For configuration, this is exactly what you have to do. However, do not make it too complicated right now - just define one of your jukebox drives as standalone drive first and check whether you can use it.

For the log files, look at the /nsr/logs/messages file and/or the daemon.log file !at the server!

Hi:

the problem was resolved rebooting the server. Now the services run fine

Thanks to all..

gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back