Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranebill

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2002
US
To do a remote desktop from home i know you have to do ome port forwarding etc...

What happens if I want to be able to access multiple computers from home... for example. I am about to have surgery and will be home bound for a couple weeks. I need to be able to access any computer at work for trouble shooting purposes should the need arise. I have been able to use remote desktop for my machine but what about others since I may need more than one port since 3389 or whatever is already used for my work machine.

Any help appreciated.

Bill

Is it possible to connect from your work machine to the others? Are they on the same network? I commonly do this. I connect to our remote connection server and from there I can make multiple TS connections to any other machine on the network...

Thanks,

Matt Wray

GFH

Yes all these computers that I will have to connect to are on the same network. I understand a little bit what your saying but not exactly sure how to set it up. Should I connect to the Server which is running TS in Admin mode and connect to LAN computers that way? If so how do I do that? Or connect to my machine(not the server) and connect to other machines that way?

Bill

Assuming you have all the security issues worked out, I'd keep connecting to your own machine, maybe.

What OS does your machine have? If it is XP, it has a built-in TS client. You can run MSTSC and Terminal into any machine you have running Terminal services.

If it is 2k, you will need to install the TS client onto it. I know you can download it from MS, and I think you can also just copy the MSTSC and the associated dll into the same directory on your machine and run them that way instead...

Thanks,

Matt Wray

GFH

All the computers at work are XP pro so it should have this software... so basically I should connect to my work machine through my server(acting as a router) using port 3389.... then from my work machine hit the other machines using remote desktop?

Bill

How can a person determine what ports will not be used by another application so I do not duplicate. Also will i need to make all the ip addresses on the machines static instead of dynamic or can I use computer name from home?

Bill

Do not worry about other applications using the port; just use the range 3389+ for each assignment. These are listening ports, so outgoing traffic on a duplicated port are not a concern.

You will not be able to use computer names from home. Your HOSTS file will not permit port assignments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back