Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPig

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
GB
'lo all,

How powerful is Remote Desktop, and how much control does it give you over the Desktop your controlling?

Does it show EVERYTHING that happens on that desktop, pop-ups and all?

Thanks

Yes, depending on the speed of the connection to the remote computer, RD will show everything. The only thing missing will be sound. At slower connection speeds, the wallpaper/background will be removed. Next to go is 'window contents while dragging', then animations. For the rest of the list check the 'Experience' tab under Options.

Yes.

You have complete control over the workstation.
You have complete control over the mouse and keyboard.
You have complete control over the devices, registry, and other assignments based on the user type defined at the remote host when your name is added as a remote user.

Anything that appears on the screen on the remote host session is sent to your client workstation display.

But unless you know how to do it via the command line, you can't reboot the machine.

shutdown -r -t 0

to do it via the command line.

skiflyer is correct. Remote Desktop is a form of Terminal Server, and you by connecting are creating a new logon to the remote host machine.

The original logon user session is still active as a sort of background task, similar to Fast User Switching.

If you have Administrative priviliges on the Remote Host, use Task Manager and click Processes, and then click at the bottom to show Processes for all users to show the underlying "other" user processes that are active.

To extend the analogy to Fast User Switching, it makes sense that from the GUI you would be limited to a logoff and not a shutdown.

Superb, thanks for all the replies.

Would the Microsoft site be the best place to look for set-up guides?

<<Cheesy post of the day!>>

To elaborate on the shutdown command which is very useful when working for remote... :)

C:\WINDOWS>shutdown /?
Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args Display this message (same as -?)
-i Display GUI interface, must be the first option
-l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
-s Shutdown the computer
-r Shutdown and restart the computer
-a Abort a system shutdown
-m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
-t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
-c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
-f Forces running applications to close without warning

-d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown
u is the user code
p is a planned shutdown code
xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256)
yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)

C:\WINDOWS>

Nice!

You learn something new every day,

Thanks a lot

To reboot the client machine, why not goto -start -settings -windows security, then select shut down or restart from the drop down? The only thing I've come across is when you log in remotely after the reboot, clicking on the start button you get running vertically windows terminal instead of windows xp. Anyone know why?

Okay, I've been reading up and can now access other computers on my LAN with remote access (It may sound simple, but I'm oh so proud)

Now - how would I go about accessing a particular desktop of the LAN, over the internet - if the I.P. address I specify will be the ISPs static one, how do I further control which PC I fiddle with?

Does username/password cover this? Or am I being too hopefull?

That depends on how your LAN is connected to the internet. The short answer is that you need to forward external TCP port 3389 to the internal IP address of the XP machine you want to connect to. If you're using a hardware router or firewall appliance, you should find some forwarding settings in the administration area.

The easiest way to access remotely over the internet is with VNC. There are several versions and I prefer TightVNC, but it's a matter of what your comfortable with.

This utility is a 2 part system requiring a "server" mode and a "viewer" mode. The "server" must be running on the pc you want to access and you have to have the IP address of that machine. (The "server" will display that info.) Once you log on to that machine, you have complete control as with Remote Desktop.

One thing you can't do is reboot the remote PC. When you do, you lose the internet connection and the remote machine must logon to the internet again. I've used this tool to work on machines located all over the world and I'm pretty happy with it. And it's FREE!

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

TVI man - thanks for that, sounds good.

How hard is it to set-up and does it cause many errors?

I'll look into it though, Thanks!

My two cents here...

You can shutdown and reboot the computer without going to a command line.

When remoted in, you have to run taskmgr and at the top you should see an option for Shutdown and you can select restart, shutdown, or disconnect.

ssamx39,

Only if you are a member of the local administrator group for the remote machine.

VNC is good however it needs to be installed at both ends

Dameware on the otherhand will installs itself on any pc to want to remote control (provided you have the rights to the machine you want to control) and initiates the dameware service you can then view the screen and even look at it while logging out and in just as if you were the user itself

also reboots etc etc

Incidently XPPro has 2 types of remote desktop, the terminal services one as mentioned above and the other one under "Help and Support" -> "Ask for assistance" ie the idea is the user invites someone (eg a support person) to remote control their pc ie you see their session with their error messages etc they may want to show you (more for corporate networks). The session arrives as an email attachemnt and all you have to do is click the attachment to connect the user

&quot;Work to live, don't live to work&quot;

&quot;The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back&quot;

Windows XP has a built in Terminal Service for 1 remote user only at a time. Console users are unlimited AFAIK.

TightVNC is good for internal administration on a LAN, but can be very slow on an Internet connection. VNC doesn't support keys such as the start menu key and Alt-Tab etc. Authentication is still poor compared to Windows.

As mentioned above, in either cirumstances, if you want to reboot the machine whilst in a LAN use the following:

shutdown -r -m \\machinename -t 0 -f

Steve.

Will Remote Desktop work between 2 computers , say between my set and my daughters set in another City for trouble shooting? Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back